Sponsored Working Visas
Sponsored working visas are one of the most favoured visa programs to win the right to work temporarily or permanently in Australia. They are the most streamlined visa options and easiest to apply for if you are skilled, have competent English Language ability and have an Australian employer that is willing to sponsor you in a suitable position.
The two most common sponsored visa programs are the 482 (previously called 457) temporary working visa and the ENS/RSMS visa programs.
More about these visa programs
482 Temporary Working Visa
To be eligible for a 482 visa you must meet the following:
- Be nominated to work in an approved occupation on The Skilled Occupation Lists,
- Meet the skill requirements for the nominated occupation,
- Have been nominated by an approved business, and
- Have the appropriate English language skills.
You can be in or outside Australia when you lodge your application and include your family member in the application. The processing time frame for this application can range between 4 to 8 weeks. If approved the visa will be valid for a period up to 4 years (depending on the approved occupation) and you may be eligible to apply for a permanent residency after 3 years.
As part of the visa conditions you must comply with the following:
- Maintain health insurance for your and any including family members throughout the duration of the visa,
- Work in the same nominated occupation for the same sponsor unless you transfer your visa over to another employer, and
- If you cease employment you must find another employer to sponsor you within 60 days, apply for a different visa category or make arrangements to leave Australia.
The Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) or the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) are two permanent visa programs available to those who are highly skilled and are offered a permanent position by an Australian employer located either in the metropolitan areas (for ENS) or regional areas (for RSMS).
These visa programs involve a two-step process; firstly, be nominated by an approved Australian employer and then lodging a visa application under one of the three nominated streams:
- Temporary Residence Transition Stream: You can apply through this stream if you have worked in the nominated occupation under the 457/482 visa for at least three years with the same sponsor/employer.
- Direct Entry Stream: You can apply for this stream if you are highly skilled (with an approved skills assessment if you are applying for the ENS) and have at least three years full time work experience.
- Agreement Stream: You can apply for this stream if you are sponsored by an Australian employer that has access to an approved labour hire agreement by the government and offer you a permanent position to fill.
In addition, to be eligible you must meet the following general criteria:
- Be under the age of 45,
- Have the required skills and qualifications for the nominated position provided in the Skilled Occupation Lists,
- Have the appropriate English language skills,
- Meet the health and character requirements, and
- Be willing to live for at least two years if nominated by a regional employer.
The processing time frame for these types of visa programs normally take between 4 to 12 months and for any further information on these types of visas contact us for a free assessment.