Living in Australia is awesome! From its high quality of life to its diverse population and prosperous economy, it’s no surprise that many people apply for immigration to Australia. So if you’re wondering how to immigrate to Australia, we’ve provided certain key details that you need to know.
Of course, you can simply expedite the process by connecting with a migration agent if you can afford it. While they may be unable to speed up the visa application process or guarantee approval, they definitely make the process much easier and less stressful.
We’ll provide the steps you need to take to move to Australia. But first, why do people move to Australia and is it worth it? Let’s consider the pros and cons of moving to Australia.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Immigration to Australia
Perhaps like many others, you’ve been asking the question, “why do people immigrate to Australia?” Unfortunately, the answer to that question isn’t a straightforward one. People migrate to Australia for several reasons. It could be for greener pastures, to further their education, or to advance their careers.
Irrespective of the reason, Australia provides many opportunities for everyone. That’s the reason it’s such a popular destination for immigrants from around the globe. Here are some of the pros and cons of immigrating to Australia:
- Australia has one of the most powerful economies in the world. This economic strength has led to a dramatically low unemployment rate. In fact, the economic strength of Australia allows immigrants to get employment within a short time of arriving. Additionally, the minimum wage for workers in Australia is higher when compared to other countries.
Freedom to work
- An immigrant who is a permanent resident automatically has a work permit. This allows them to work for any employer, in whatever profession they desire. However, working in the Armed Forces or public service is strictly reserved for Australian citizens.
- One of the advantages of migrating to Australia is that they offer permanent visas. These permanent visas allow immigrants to live in Australia for an indefinite period. They also give immigrants the ability to live, work and study without restrictions and provide an opportunity to become a citizen of Australia.
- In addition, if you are a permanent resident, you get the chance to apply for your parents’ immigration to Australia. By applying for your parents’ immigration to Australia, you can unite with your family.
Free/subsidised health care system
- Australia provides its residents with access to a wide range of health care services for free or for a subsidised rate. Residents can easily access these services after successfully enrolling for Medicare.
Free/subsidised educational system
- Education in Australia is free or subsidised from the primary to the tertiary level. Furthermore, the Australian public school system has a great reputation for its methodologies and output of quality students. This advantage makes it easy for immigrants to access quality education in Australia without spending so much.
Great weather and scenery
- The temperate weather of Australia attracts quite a number of immigrants. From the blue skies of summer and spring to the coolness and crispness that comes with winter and autumn, it’s a lovely experience.
- Apart from this, Australia has some beautiful environmental scenery that makes it a pleasant place to reside. Some of these sceneries include beaches and parks.
- These advantages provide an answer to the question, “why do people immigrate to Australia?”.
- For many immigrants, moving to Australia means having to be away from their home country for a long time.
- Buying a home in Australia can be quite expensive. This can take up most of your savings. However, when you realise this on time, you can plan towards that if you intend to purchase a house.
Cost of living
- In some Australian cities, the cost of living can be quite high. That’s why you need to carry out proper research regarding the city you would be residing in.
Steps to Immigrate to Australia
If you are thinking of how to immigrate to Australia, then you should know the steps to take. This will help you to successfully apply for immigration to Australia. So whether you’re applying for a study visa, work permit, or permanent residency visa, some of the general steps to take to apply for immigration to Australia include:
1. Check the eligibility requirements
You need to ensure that you meet the eligibility requirements. You can check these by visiting the Office of Immigration Australia website. Note that you must score 65 points and above when applying for a permanent residence (PR) visa to be eligible.
2. Take the test for proficiency
If you’re migrating to Australia, you need to pass an English proficiency test. Some of these tests include the Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE), Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
3. Choose your choice of occupation from the Skilled Occupation List (SOL)
There are different lists of occupations. These lists include the Short Term Skilled Occupation List, the Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List, and the Medium and Long term Strategic Skills List. Visit the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs to determine the list your occupation belongs to.
4. Register your Expression Of Interest (EOI)
You can register your Expression Of Interest (EOI) under the Skillselect section. Then, you simply need to provide some vital information.
5. Get an Invitation To Apply (ITA)
After registering your EOI, you’ll get an invitation to apply for a permanent residence visa if you’re qualified.
6. Submit your application for a PR visa
Upon getting an invitation to apply for a PR visa, you must submit your PR visa application along with the necessary documents.
7. Obtain your clearance certificate
As an applicant, you’ll need to present a police and medical clearance certificate. You should get these documents ready when invited to apply for a permanent residence visa.
8. Get your visa grant
After completion of the necessary steps, you’ll be granted your visa.
How Much Do I Need to Migrate to Australia
To determine the cost of moving to Australia, there are some areas you need to consider. These include:
Cost of skill assessment
For a skilled permanent visa, you should prepare for a skill assessment. A skill assessment will cost you between AUD 450 and $2,200 AUD, depending on your occupation.
English language proficiency test
Most skilled applicants will need to pass an English language proficiency test. To undertake the test, you should expect to pay about $255 AUD.
This is where you will have to spend a substantial amount of money. In 2019, the government application rates were as follows:
Main applicant ($3755 AUD)
Secondary applicant ($1875 AUD)
A dependent applicant who is over 18 ($1875 AUD)
A child under 18 ($940 AUD)
Medical check fee
For an adult, this costs $558 AUD, while the price is about $319 AUD for a child.
Police check fee
The rate for this differs depending on the country you are carrying out the check. Nevertheless, you can expect to pay anywhere up to $127 AUD if you’re aged 16 and above.
Cost of relocation
Travelling down to Australia will cost you about $10,000 AUD to $20,000 AUD. But if you’re moving with your family, you can expect to spend between $20,000 AUD and $30,000 AUD.
Contact an Australian Migration Agent
The process of applying for an Australian visa can be challenging. That’s why it’s important to contact an experienced immigration agency to guide you through the entire process. They’ll make your relocation smooth and successful.
At Immigate, we provide professional and innovative immigration services. With our many years of experience providing nationality and immigration advice, we can cater to your particular circumstances.
We also have trained professionals who understand the ins and outs of how to immigrate to Australia and we provide our services at an affordable rate. So if you intend to travel to Australia with ease, do not hesitate to book an appointment with us.