Because it has a thriving economy, many people want to migrate and get permanent residency in Australia.
Australia is diverse and has fascinating landscapes. But mostly, people dream of migrating to and settling there for the quality of life that the country promises.
When you meet the criteria set out in the Australian Migration law and become an Australian permanent resident, you will hold a permanent visa. You aren’t a citizen, but you can live, work and study without restrictions in Australia.
Three years after living in Australia with a Permanent Residency Visa, you can choose to apply for Australian citizenship.
Let’s delve into how to get permanent residency in Australia.
How to Become a Permanent Resident in Australia
To become a permanent resident of Australia, you will have to apply for and be granted a permanent visa. This permanent visa is what allows you to live in Australia indefinitely.
There are different avenues through which you can apply to become an Australian permanent resident. The requirements for each avenue vary, and you choose to follow any depending on the circumstances you’re in.
The following is a discussion of the most common options to obtaining permanent residency in Australia:
#1. Family-Stream Permanent Residence Visas
This refers to family-related visas to Australian Permanent Residency. If you are an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen, it is possible to sponsor your family to live in Australia.
If you choose this pathway, they may arrive in Australia as temporary residents. Then after they have met the requirements of the law, they may be granted permanent residency.
Spouses/partners, dependent children or parents of Australian citizens or permanent residents are eligible to use this stream. And they will be given preference over other family members.
However, other family members, such as old and dependent relatives, caretakers etc., are also given the opportunity to move to Australia to be with their families.
#2. New Zealand Citizen to Australian Permanent Residency
If you are a citizen of New Zealand, your eligibility for Australian citizenship depends on whether you arrived in Australia before or after 26 February 2001.
When most New Zealand citizens arrive IN Australia usually, they are automatically granted a Special Category visa (SCV). This SCV is a temporary visa. However, it grants the holder the opportunity to remain and work in Australia.
If you arrived in Australia on 26 February 2001 and hold an SCV, you may be eligible to apply for Australian permanent residency and citizenship.
#3. Business or Investment-Stream Permanent Residence Visas
This relates to the category of people who are willing to invest in Australia or live in Australia for business purposes.
The Australian business visa program is a pathway that helps foreign business owners, senior executives and investors. It aims to motivate people to come to Australia for business purposes and develop their new or existing businesses.
The eligibility requirements for a Business or Investment-Stream Permanent Residence Visa are as follows:
- You must have had the provisional visa (subclass 188) for at least one year.
- You must meet the financial requirements.
- You have to submit an Expression of Interest in SkillSelect
- You must have a nomination from a state or territory government agency or Austrade
- You must be granted an invitation to apply
#4. Work-stream permanent residence Visas
In Australia, labour migration is deemed a priority. There is an Australian permanent residence visa option open to skilled workers.
You can explore this option in 2 ways:
- If you have an Australian employer who is sponsoring you to work in Australia,
- You have a skill or skills that Australia values.
Other options which you can explore in applying for a permanent residence visa in Australia include:
Retirement Visa Pathway: This is a permanent residency pathway that is open to eligible retirees.
If you are a long term resident in Australia, you can opt for a permanent residence visa using this method. You must, however, have contributed to the community and be well-established.
Former Resident Visa: This visa is open to people who were former permanent residents in Australia.
Global Talent Visa (Subclass 858): This option is open to people who are exceptional, talented and internationally-recognised. They must have a record of outstanding achievement.
Refugee and Humanitarian Visas: This option was created for people who have left their own country because of persecution and hardships.
Age Restrictions and Language Proficiency Criteria
You should be below 45 years to apply for a Permanent Residency visa.
Also, you should be able to prove that you have a competent level of proficiency in the English language.
Benefits of having an Australian Permanent Residency
A permanent resident in Australia has almost the same rights and entitlements as a citizen. There are, however, certain distinctions between a permanent resident and a citizen.
These distinctions include:
- A citizen has an automatic right of entry into Australia. But if you travel internationally as a permanent resident, you must ensure that you have a permanent visa with a valid travel authority if you still want to return to Australia as a permanent resident.
- A citizen has the right to vote in Australian Government elections. You cannot vote as a permanent resident.
- You may not enjoy certain services and benefits open to citizens of Australia if you are a permanent resident. But this depends on the government agency with policy responsibility for the service or benefit.
However, as a non-citizen who is the holder of a Permanent Resident Visa, these are the benefits that you will enjoy in Australia:
- You can remain in and travel wherever you wish to within Australia.
- You can pursue higher studies in Australia. You can even apply for certain educational loans.
- You can apply for a Government job.
- You are eligible to enjoy Social Security benefits two years after obtaining an Australia PR visa.
- You can sponsor your family who want to obtain a Permanent Residency visa in Australia, provided they meet the criteria set out in the Australian Migration law.
- You can travel to and apply for a visa in New Zealand.
Get an Immigration Lawyer for Permanent Residence in Sydney
If you want to get permanent residency in Australia, you can choose the right option based on your eligibility.
You will need all the information you can get about the process and the appropriate visa category to apply for. If you are unsure of this, then you need to contact a migration agent/lawyer who will make the whole process simple and easy for you.
At Immigate, we help people who want to migrate to Australia to apply for the correct visas. We provide professional and friendly service, and we will help you identify the ideal visa category to apply for.
We will strive to give you a clear picture of all that needs to be done and help you implement all that is required.
Are you in Sydney temporarily and want to know how to apply for a Permanent Residency in Australia? Then don’t hesitate. Contact us now!